Thursday, October 26, 2006

Eye Opener.


Recently, I moved from a small town in North Carolina to the urban sprawl outside the Washington D.C. Moving here wasn’t something I chose to do, but was required to do by accepting a promotion at my job. I am an easy going, outdoorsy kind of guy that has experienced a serious change of pace with the D.C. area. I was a rookie when it came to driving in congested traffic prior to my move. The gridlock on our roads is unbelievable, to see the stats click here. I empathize with newcomers to the area trying to navigate with a map. Most Washingtonians drive 10 miles per hour or more over the speed limit and don’t be the poor soul that gets in their way. The number of vehicles on the road in the D.C. area is staggering. It didn’t hit me until I was jogging one morning how much carbon monoxide is being pumped into the air by automobiles. I inhaled more car exhaust on my 3 mile jog than I have probably experienced in my lifetime. This and an article I recently read in Time Magazine "Global Warming, Be Worried, Be Very Worried," has prompted me take an interest in pollution and how it contributes to global warming.
I believe one person can make a difference in our world, and former Vice President Al Gore is bringing his struggle for the environment to DVD November 21st. Gore's film "An Inconvenient Truth," is his way of spreading the word about Global Warming. Even if you are skeptical towards Global Warming, I encourage you to view the movie trailer here. I hope my weekly posts will encourage others to take a stand toward making our world a cleaner place to live and breathe.

3 Comments:

Blogger Julie P.Q. said...

Hi David,

Again, great topic! Your writing here is smooth and controlled, and you provide a great mix of personal detailing and linking. I especially like the link to "An Inconvenient Truth": what a powerful movie.

You state in this post that "The number of vehicles on the road in the D.C. area is staggering": I'm sure there are stats out there to tell us exactly how many. Using a stat like this will really hit the point home.

12:21 PM, November 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a topic. I will be loggin on here to keep myself informed.i would rather be paying attention to you than Mr.Gore since i feel i can trust you but not a politician.(no disrespect Mr.Gore). I have lived in different parts of the world most recently Africa where they do not have a clue of global warming. i see you inhaling 3 miles of exhaust but in parts of the world inhalation is an everyday thing and they so used to it http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/photo.day.php?ID=80729

11:32 AM, November 06, 2006  
Blogger Toolx64 said...

Excellent choice for a topic. I can relate to not being used to the traffic. I moved from southern Virginia up here and could not believe how bad traffic was. I can definitely feel the difference when I breath air up here and go back home. The air is so much cleaner there. This is a topic we should all be worried about. Looking forward to hearing more.

7:41 AM, November 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home